Pages

Tuesday 13 December 2011

Bienvenido a Nicaragua!

Hitting Guatemala a few weeks ago (has time really gone by that quickly?!) I quickly realised that I would have to speak at least a pequeño bit of Spanish if I was going to survive anywhere in latin america outside of Mexico. So I was mucho greatful to come across a quaint second-hand bookshop off the main tourist street in Granada selling dead cheap Spanish pharse books with literal pronounciation! So since then I have been giving it a go and can now speak pretty ok-ish basic pigeon Spanish...kinda. 

Granada is an interesting city. It is very typically Spanish colonial, with an array of coloured buildings and pretty tiled pavements. The centre is surprisingly small and extremely chaotic (and comes with its own weird smell) and the poverty, begging (particularly by children), and overt prostitution is quite a shock to Westerm eyes. However, the city didn´t feel too unsafe, and I was lucky enough to be staying in a really nice hostel and met lots of really great people. One of the best things I did was a boat tour of 365 tiny islands (one for each day!) that sit on the lake of Nicaragua - absolutley stunning!!

 













I feel sad to leave Nicaragua, and the wonderfully cheap cost everything, but onto Costa Rica it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment