Pages

Sunday 18 December 2011

Making memories in Costa Rica

Time for the country I have been looking forward to most of all - Costa Rica!

So along with a fellow backpacker who lives in London, went to university in Reading and livd up the road from me, and who worked as a medical sales rep (oh this small world), we jumped onto a NicaBus and went fourth into the tropical hills of one of the world's most biodiverse nations. Despite being warned that "the border rates are variable according to your nationality or the whim of the customs official" we crossed the border without a hitch, and I even bumped into a lovely Dutch couple I met weeks before on the Honduran Bay islands.

Crossing the boarder from Nicaragua into CR felt like arriving on another planet. The difference in roads, infrastructure and even the people was stark and it was instantly apparent that we had entered a much wealthier nation. The obvious higher prosperity and standard of living was mirrored with a sudden increase in the price of everything - not just tourist-related activities but also food in supermacardos and all important alcohol. Luckily, hostels are well prepared and all those I stayed in had excently equiped kichens and allowed guests to bring in their own alchohol - it's also a great way to meet people and learn a whole bunch of new combinations of things that can be wrapped in tortilas.

Despite CR's popularity with American tourists and the subsequent influx of expat dollars, the overwhelming friendliness of the ticos/ticas is refreshing and they appear determined to maintain both their unique ecosystem and cultural identity. In my opinion, the country perfectly marries a laid back society with the degree of efficiency expected by westerners (and after weeks in the rest of central america, efficiency is much appreciated!!). The men ain't bad looking either, what more can one ask for?!

Forget 7 degrees of separation, I'm on 4!

As well as loving the country and all the activities (ziplining, nature hikes, an orchid farm, a coffee plantation, beaches, jungles, cloud forests, and lots and lots of looking at nature) it was also a place where I happened to cross paths with many of the same people again, including the Dutch couple from the boarder crossing, the same girl from Mexican customs, a tour group I first ran into in Honduras, and a few others I met on various nights out. I am now convinced that the Latin American gringo trail is one of the smallest in the world. I also met loads of wonderful Americans, rekindling my dream to one day live in the states - if anyone can help, email me!! :-)












As my time in Central America draws to a close, I can honestly say I don't want my trip to end. This part of the world is one of the best I have visited and I will certainly be hurrying back!

As the next continent beckons I still have one night in Miami to experience. I kinda imagine Miami to be the Essex of the states...a true dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment