Pages

Sunday 22 January 2012

A Santiago send off

12-17 Jan 2012
Founded in 1541, Santiago is the fifth largest city in South America and certainly one of the most prosperous and westernised. It's an important financial hub and the city's wealth can undeniably be felt resonating through the hustle and bustle. The Andes, and their often snow-capped peaks, can be seen from the city centre and form a valley for the city to sit snuggly in. Unfortunately, this geography creates a sort of sitting pot for pollution and smog (the daily papers even publish pollution tables each day), and some parts of the city can have a putrid smell, especially in Santiago's hot weather. One place I particularly noticed this phenomenom was on top of San Cristobel hill, a wonderfully pretty hilltop over looking the trendy Bellavista district of the city. But despite the smell of pollution, we were able to eat a delicious lunch of empanadas and coke and enjoy the stunning views.









Unfortunately, Santiago symbolised a time to part company with the wonderful people I met on my tour. Our 26 nights together saw a few inevitable travelling ups and downs, but we still managed to spend virtually the whole trip laughing and bantering (with lots of top notch Simpson's quoting to keep me on my toes!). I had a great time and was glad to have a helping hand when it came to navigating around a part of the world that can often prove difficult. Luckily, with Australia being my next stop, I will certainly be reuniting with some of these old friends again and no doubt spending many a night on various sofas.

As soon as I set foot on Santiago soil I knew I would fall head over heels for the city. Resembling Buenos Aires (still one of my favourite cities), I felt instantly welcome and excited to see more. After my tour hotel, I excitedly stepped back into the familiar and much-missed world of hostelling. I found a great one in the bohemian/artsy/cafe culture part of town and settled in straight away. I had 4 days and managed to squeeze in sightseeing, bbqs, drinks, sunning in parks, shopping, cooking, Gazza's autobiography, a whole lotta coffee shops, as well as some vital catching up on sleep time, before preparing for my antipodean adventure. Santiago very much left me wishing I was one of its 6 million inhabitants but I also cannot wait to get to Australia and see family and friends, and see what a country that I have never heard a bad thing said about is really like.







So, while I wait patiently at Santiago airopeurto listenting to the last of the rolling r's that I will hear for a while, I feel very sad to be leaving Latin America. Every country in this region is geographically, economically and culturally unique but they all bask with a similar vibe and attitude expressed through the people that live here. I felt welcome, safe, looked after and tolerated in every country; I'm not sure how many other continents can proudly do the same. I am already planning my return to this part of the world (Colombia? Yes please!) so let's hope I can remember some of the Spanish I picked up! Me gusta Latin America!

Backpacking this part of the world has been the best thing I've ever done, and now that I'm armed with enough memories to last a lifetime, I feel prepared for the next leg of my travels. Check mark against the following: old clothes thrown out, bag repacked, US dollars replenished, photos uploaded, books finished and left at hostel, Facebook status updated, traveller hat on, manky flipflops thrown away, and toothpaste at the ready. 18-hour flight you say? Bring on every minute...Amy's coming to Australia!!










No comments:

Post a Comment