Pages

Thursday 24 November 2011

Crab with a fag

A lagoon retreat

Although sad to leave beautiful Tulum and the people I met there, it was time for me to head to Chetumal at the Mexican boarder where a boat runs to the Belizian island of Caye Caulker. But before I left Mexico, I decided to take a detour to a destination slightly off the Lonely Planet beaten track known as Bacalar, the site of a giant fresh water lagoon. Getting off the bus at Bacalar, I met three wonderful American ladies from California who let me jump on a pickup truck they´d flagged down at the roadside and headed to their guesthouse. The guesthouse they booked was absolutely beautiful and they were kind enough to offer me the spare bed for the night! That evening we sat and chatted on the mini pier in the garden and had a well-needed early night with a book. A true retreat!




After my swift mini-break Bacalar it was time for country number 2: Belize.

Caye Caulker

Leaving my blissful retreat, I rejoined the backpacker trail to Caye Caulker, a teeny tiny island siting just off the coast of Belize city. The island is famous amongst traveller circles and many a passing backpacker has stepped foot here. The island is a small jem, in a world of its own. It's maintained the traveller 60s hippy vibe and the brightly coloured hostels, restaurants and bars make for a very picturesque island. With 3 days there, I decided to go snorelling again - what a way to cure a hangover! - and got the chance to stroke a nurse shark and a stingrey! Kinda slimey, in case you're wondering.








I met loads of really great people here and definitely have lots of great memories! Although the most notable one is the crab with a fag...one of the most hilarious things of my trip so far!!




No comments:

Post a Comment