Pages

Friday 4 November 2011

Last day of work, first day of a new chapter?


Perhaps it's fitting to begin this on what is my last day of work. 

Walking through the city of London this morning felt like a stereotype – drizzly rain that soaks through you, city folk with heads hung low, Pret coffee in hand (not the best conditions to listen to my teach-yourself Latin American Spanish podcasts) – I must admit that I happily moved my state of mind forward a week to when I will be doing one of three things: lying on a stunning Mexican beach; exploring ancient Mayan ruins; or using my Spanglish to purchase ingredients for burritos (let's see how well those podcasts worked). 

Now in my office in Farringdon, it's 11am Kisstory, the rain has vanished and the sun is streaming through the windows. Nothing beats a beautiful, crisp day in London – it's making me feel quite sad to be leaving the best city in the world. Strangely, it feels a bit like I am about to be left out of the loop of some juicy gossip that's about to emerge – like I'm going to be missing out on something. But no doubt London will be exactly the same as I left it. 

It still hasn't sunk in that my RTW backpacking adventure begins in 5 days. At least 15 countries in about 6 months is a big feat but I feel ready for the challenge. I am slightly apprehensive about how I am going to fit everything I need into my backpack – how can 60L actually be teeny tiny?! I need to be ruthless. The ultimate test will be whether all those mornings spent walking to work in my walking boots have truly broken them in. 

Leaving goodbye M&S treats for my lovely colleagues on the communal table, all that's left to do is clear away the evidence of my existence from the office, enjoy our retro 70s lunch, and get prepared for a leaving speech. 

Maybe I can also learn how to defy the laws of physics to condense everything into my backpack… 

No comments:

Post a Comment